Dahlias

So I was driving home from work one day last September and I always saw this house with these huge and I mean huge beautiful yellow flowers out front that are amazing.  I saw the older lady that lives there outside for the first time so I stopped. I asked her what kind of flowers they were.  In a really thick Greek accent she said they were Dahlias  that she brought over from he home in Greece many,many years ago. I told her they were the most beautiful flowers ever.   Mind you they are the size of a dinner plate.  Well she said "please wait" to me and she went around back of he house ad handed me a bag and it looked like a bag of 10 dirty potatoes.  She said you can have some. I was ecstatic!

Now I am going to have these gorgeous flowers in my yard? She said " keep them in the basement in a dark place until spring then plant them root down."  So I shard half with my sister in-law and now I am starting to see the flowers come out.  She had them all around her house and they were not just yellow apparently because mine are coming up all colors.  The biggest so far are coming up purple.  She said by ht end of August they will be huge.  Of course I googled them and they are called Dinner Plate Dahlias because   how big the flowers get.  So I cannot wait to see when they are that big! Here they are so far at the end of July so far.

So its not just having the flower that I am happy about, its the fact that she gave them to me after bringing them with her all those years ago form Greece.  I feel like they are special and I get to carry on her tradition.

Of course I had to add my first Morning Glory too!


Red Dalias so far so good

Look how tall they get
First  Morning Glory he is little but beautiful.

Comments

Popular Posts